Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Rainy Days and Sundays

I'm at the beach and it's raining. We have had a drought where I live this year, so we are not allowed to water our gardens or wash our cars with hoses, unprecedented restrictions in our water-happy corner of the world. Despite installing tanks and using what water we can collect to keep our garden alive, a once magnificent staghorn on our leopardwood tree is dry and riddled with ants and the rest of the garden is looking sparser and sadder by the week.

I try to remind myself of these things when I sit in our beach-side apartment and PINE for sunny weather. But I am here with a 3 year old with a mania for doors and light switches and a 3 month old baby, and goodness knows what I will find to entertain them for a week of rainy days.

Hm, perhaps I can tell them a story...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christine, I think the sprogs might be a bit young for YOUR sort of story! Perhaps I should tell them a story instead. Actually, it's been lovely having the rain. I love the rain (although I got mighty sick of it when I lived in England). But it's nice to look outside my office door and see tender green instead of harsh brown and dead lawn. Or even worse, sand where dead lawn used to be. It's sunny (although a little unsettled) here today so hopefully your holiday weather will improve!