Friday, January 26, 2007

PLU


Have you heard the term PLU? It stands for People Like Us. I'm sure this term was originally coined by elitist snobs, but I use it in another sense. I can always tell if someone is PLU by the books they adore.

There is something wonderfully uniting about loving the same book as someone else, discussing it with them as if you're mulling over the problems, loves and triumphs of mutual friends. Nothing beats it--except perhaps when someone talks to you about one of your own books as if they know your characters intimately. Although it's a little disconcerting when they mention some minor character you'd forgotten all about:)

Not very long ago, I was giggling with fellow writer Anna Campbell over the mere concept of receiving fan-mail. To my astonishment, the other day, I received my first letter from someone with whom I had no connection, who said she loved the excerpt on my website and wanted to know why it was taking my book so long to come out.

What a wonderful feeling! I'm guessing she's PLU.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Christine, how kewl about the fanmail. I hope you printed it out and kept it! And never fear - you'll get lots of the stuff. It's such a great book!

Anonymous said...

Ah...PLU. Isn't it fun when you just "click" with someone like that? I love it!

Congrats on the fan mail. You'd better start a wall collage (or a binder if you don't like that visual!) 'cause you're going to be getting a lot more of that!