Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Oz Love From Afar, by Trish Milburn, American Title IV Finalist


Christine writes: I'm lucky to have with me today a fantastic writer and fellow Romance Bandit Trish Milburn. Trish is a finalist in American Title IV, a contest run by Romantic Times, with the ultimate prize of publication by Dorchester. Voting has begun in the first round and Trish's entry OUT OF SIGHT rocks, so VOTE FOR TRISH, everyone! See the link below.


Because I'm from Australia, Trish wanted to blog about her long distance love affair with my country.


Trish writes: Have you ever felt an affinity for a place you’ve never been? For me, one of those places is Australia. I’m planted firmly in the middle of the United States, but there’s something very attractive about the Land Down Under.

From what I recall, my first long-distance love of Australia came about through a school project when I was in elementary school. We had to do a report on another country, and for some reason (can’t remember why) I picked Australia. I wrote away to some tourism bureau or travel agency (also don’t remember precisely) and received a packet of information about this impossibly far away country. Love bloomed. The pictures were mesmerizing. The land looked nothing like my world, rural Western Kentucky. I hailed from the land of Daniel Boone and the Kentucky Derby, not boomerangs and the Outback.

In the following years, I read books set in Australia, sang along with “The Land Down Under” by Men at Work, and watched The Man from Snowy River and Return to Snowy River, not to mention the TV mini-series The Thorn Birds. And while I’m sure the cities are lovely and fascinating in their own right (I still remember with awe the turn of the millenium and how gorgeous Sydney looked), I have to admit it was the Outback that captured my imagination. It’s not really surprising that this was the area that appealed to me since I’m also a great lover of the American West. I see a lot of parallels between the two spots on the globe – beauty in its rugged openness, wide swaths of space virtually empty of human habitation, ranches, and the rugged individuals who choose to live there.

My fascination with Australia was strengthened even more when I read Bill Bryson’s travelogue In a Sunburned Country. As he described a train trip across the Outback and a visit to Uluru (Ayers Rock), I felt as if I was finally there, walking upon that continent myself. By the way, I had a memory lapse a moment ago about the name of Uluru and Googled “Big Rock Australia”, and it was the first thing that popped up.

If anyone still needs a reason to love Australia, look no further that the incredibly talented and, let’s face it, gorgeous crop of actors Oz produces. Hugh Jackman. Heath Ledger. Eric Bana. David Wenham. Guy Pearce. Russell Crowe. Need I say more? Okay, there are some extremely talented Aussie actresses gracing screens as well. Nicole Kidman. Toni Collette. Naomi Watts. Miranda Otto. And the fabulous Cate Blanchett.

Add animals like kangaroos and koalas, natural wonders such as the Great Barrier Reef, yummy treats like Tim Tams (yum!), and talented authors like Christine Wells, Anna Campbell and Trish Morey, and what’s not to like?

Maybe someday I’ll see Australia for myself – just as soon as I earn a ton of money and conquer my fear of flying.


The first round of AT IV has begun, and Trish has a killer first line! Vote for Trish's entry OUT OF SIGHT on the Romantic Times website

26 comments:

Trish Milburn said...

Thanks for your kind compliment, Christine, and for hosting me over here today.

Christine Wells said...

It's great to have you here, Trish. You will certainly have to conquer your fear of flying and get yourself down under one day. There are plenty of places for you to crash, including mine!

Thank you for including me among our talented exports.*g* It's nice to hear about Australia from an outsider's point of view. Good things, that is!

Denise Rossetti said...

Hiya Trish!
Welcome to the Land Down Under, virtually speaking! I have to admit I'm a complete city slicker. I like my creature comforts, especially flushing toilets and hot showers. *g* But from my study window, I look straight out into a poinciana tree (umbrella canopy, loads of dark orange blossom, think it's a South African import?). Anyway, the rainbow lorikeets come at dusk and shriek and argue at the tops of their voices and hang upside down.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/readman/rainbow.htm
If you wore a dress in those colours, people would laugh and point in the street, but they look spectacular, perfect.
It's an amazing country.
Come visit and we'll show you a good time. *g*

Trish Morey said...

Great blog, fellow noodler:-))

It's great you've had this long term love affair from afar. And you know the welcome carpet's been out for a while. You're more than welcome to come walking around the block with me and count koalas any time you like.

Trish Morey said...

BTW, I meant to say, I went, I read, I voted.

Love your first line! All the very best in the contest.

Christine Wells said...

Lovely, Denise! THanks for commenting. We have rainbow lorikeets too and I love waking to the sound of kookaburras in the morning and hearing them laughing in the trees when the sun goes down. Not so keen on the carpet snakes, though!

Trish Morey, thanks for commenting! Yes, Trish M will have to conquer that flying phobia.

Anonymous said...

Great first line. I sent in a vote because it was clearly the best one there.

Good luck Trish.

Anna Campbell said...

Trish, if you do come to Oz having conquered your fear of flying, you're most welcome to a barbie at my place with a nice Aussie red and a swim in the pool! How strange Australia had this strange fascination for you. I have to say growing up here, all I wanted to do was see the rest of the world! Of course, I've since learned to appreciate our sunburned country.

Actually the birds are a real part of the appeal. I wake up to the dawn chorus every morning and think someone from overseas would freak at all the strange and beautiful sounds.

Fantastic first line! I've voted for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Trish, it's pretty cool down here but a looooooooooooong way away from TROTW ( the rest of the world).
Looking forward to exploring your corner of the globe when I go to San Fran next July.

Trish Milburn said...

Hey, I'm up at the same time as the Aussies. :) Of course, my hubby is out of town and I tend to stay up most of the night because I don't sleep well when I'm here alone. I hear EVERY little creak the house makes.

Thanks so much for the votes and the nice compliments, everyone. I really appreciate it.

Denise, that tree sounds gorgeous. And believe it or not, I've fed lorikeets before. I've seen them a couple of times in zoos. And I've seen kangaroos and kookaburras. Strangely, there is a place a couple hours north of me in Kentucky called Kentucky Down Under. It's really cheesy and a bit sad when you think about it, but they have Australian animals there.

Trish Mo! My fellow Trish and Posse member! I love the sound of walking around counting koalas. I guess I could do that with squirrels. :)

Christine Wells said...

Sami Lee, it is the best one there, isn't it? That's why I have no qualms telling everyone to vote for Trish!

Foanna, can I come too? A barbie, a good red and a swim, who could ask for more?

Christine Wells said...

Amy, I'm with you! San Fran will be my first trip to the US, so it will be a great new experience.

Christine Wells said...

Trish, I feel for you! Before I had dogs and lived on my own, I was a very nervous Nellie! Hope you manage to get some sleep.

Authorness said...

Hi, Trish and Christine. What a lovely post! You've got my vote.

Vanessa :)

Anna Campbell said...

Hmm, Trish, will we have Madam Wells? I think we might! Just don't do the cancan on the dining table like you usually do!

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna - you better not have Ms Wells and leave me out.
There will be trouble.

Anonymous said...

Trish, What a wonderful blog partner you make for Christine. It's rather flattering to read of your distant love affair.

A small gift from downunder (where I love it most). http://www.au6.com/wattle/theoutback.html
I snaped the image a few months ago returning home from a trip to Roxby Downs (that should give you a few moments with an atlas)

Thank you

Eric
PS: I love your writing. (and you have my vote)

H Maree Davis said...

And now I'm homesick. Oh well, I'll be home for Xmas.

H! :) (Off to vote)

Trish Milburn said...

Amy and authorness, thanks so much for the comments and votes.

Eric, I love the picture. Definitely reminds me of parts of the American West. All that open sky and barren beauty. And thanks for the compliment on my writing.

h maree, I now have "I'll be Home for Christmas" playing in my head. :)

Anna Campbell said...

Oh, man, there goes the dining table. You'll DEFINITELY do the cancan, AA! Trish, I hope you're still keen on visiting Oz...

Annie West said...

Hi Trish,

Arriving late but had to pop in and say I loved your post. Fascinating to hear that you have such a soft spot for Australia when you've never been here. But I think it shows great taste!

Like some of the others here I love the birds. My view is over the pool to enormous gum trees (eucalypts) and we get rosellas and king parrots so vibrant they almost hurt your eyes (in a good way). One of the things that always strikes me about Australia when I'm out of the city is the sense of hugeness - the sky is so vast (I'm sure it isn't so big in Europe) and the quiet age of the bush. Awe inspiring and relaxing at the same time.

Lovely to hear from you. It would be fun to meet up if you ever make it over here for a visit.

Annie

Christine Wells said...

Anna, Amy and I will can-can together. Though not in traditional garb! We might well break your table but it will be worth it for our sparkling company:)

Thanks everyone for commenting and voting! Hi Vaness and Eric, thanks for stopping by. Sorry to have made you homesick, Heather! Annie, that was poetic. You wouldn't be a writer, by any chance?

Trish Milburn said...

I just might have to get some nice calming drugs and fly over to see the can-can dancing. Okay, that can-can song from Moulin Rouge is now in my head.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tricia, Trish
Yes, do visit – take calming drugs or whatever – but a stack of novels do it for me, headphones, soft pillow, cosy blanket - a ligit day lounging on the sofa (well, sort of sitting up, but hey, someone brings food)- and before you know it you’re there. Nice to meet you – cheers - Eva

Kelly Boyce said...

I'll check out the RT site, Christine. I hadn't realized that was going on again already. Time flies!! Good luck to Trish!

Christine Wells said...

Hi Eva, thanks for visiting! And Kelly, great to see you. Thanks for voting!