Sunday, April 01, 2007

Interview with Anna Campbell




Anna, it’s lovely to have you here at the Ink Spot. Congratulations on the release of Claiming the Courtesan!

Thank you, Christine. And thank you for asking me to be a guest on your blog. I'm a regular visitor, as you'd know from my copious comments about your words of wisdom. And speaking of your words, can't wait until your book is released. And that cover is to die for! Perhaps I should interview you one day here.

The cover is beautiful, isn't it? Thank you, I'd love you to interview me as long as you promise to be kind!


But let's concentrate on you and this brilliant book that is creating such a sensation. Can you tell us a bit about Claiming the Courtesan?

Claiming the Courtesan is a dark, intense Regency historical that describes the torrid, turbulent relationship between the Duke of Kylemore and his mistress Soraya, London’s most notorious courtesan. Stephanie Laurens called it Regency noir and I’ve got to say that’s the best summing up I can possibly give you.

Wow, I'd give Stephanie Laurens a Rita for that cover quote alone! It fits Claiming the Courtesan perfectly.


Anna, there has been a lot of discussion on the net already about this book and it has been out for less than a week. Would you like to talk about some of the things you’ve read?

It’s been interesting, the reaction to this book, Christine! It’s a lesson to me that when you write something and put it out there in the public domain, it develops an existence completely independent of you. Remember these words when Scandal’s Daughter hits the stands.

Generally there seem to be two camps. People who love it passionately and people who hate it passionately (fortunately definitely in the minority, but quite vocal). All the reviews, though, comment on the fact that it pushes strong buttons emotionally. I know I found it a wrenching book to write so I’m really pleased that some of that powerful emotion I felt telling the story emerged in the final product. A lot of the discussion so far (not that I’ve seen all of it!) focuses on whether one or more of the love scenes count as either forced seduction or rape or neither. Obviously, I’ve got my opinion about that but it’s something people have to make their own minds about.

When you first wrote Claiming the Courtesan, it was uncommon to read about sexually experienced heroines in historical romance and even less common to have a hero and heroine who were thoroughly and intimately acquainted at the beginning of the book. To me, a typical Avon historical romance focuses on the growing awareness and sexual tension between the couple. Yours had already ‘been there, done that’, yet the book is terrifically sexy. What is the romantic journey this couple undertake?

Yes, the goalposts in romance have definitely shifted. I believe it’s the influence of the upsurge in erotica within the mainstream market. When I started writing this book five years ago, I thought a book about a woman who sleeps with men for money would never have a chance of selling. But as you know, I’d completed my first manuscript over twenty years earlier and never published so selling wasn’t really my biggest worry! And these characters were so vivid in my mind that I just couldn’t let them go, difficult and contradictory and damaged and wrong-headed as they were. Probably that’s why they were so vivid! They really were like real people to me, with all the complexity of real people. Strangely by the time I had a polished version of CTC to send off, the heroine’s profession had become a real drawcard both for the agent I sent it to and for the editors who offered to buy it.

I wanted to write a story about two people who were sexually intimate and yet emotional strangers and I wanted to put them in a situation where emotional intimacy was inevitable. And all the deep emotion that they’ve bottled up ignites and threatens to immolate them. Love is risky and dangerous and carries the threat of complete destruction for people like Verity and Kylemore with their tragic histories.

Why are Kylemore and Verity perfect for one another? When the dust settles and they have their Happily Ever After, what qualities will they most enjoy about one another into old age?

Hey, what a fantastic question! This relationship has been tempered in fire like the best steel so I imagine them as a really strong unit with a love that endures any troubles life throws at them. They’ve suffered and fought and faced peril and tragedy together. I think they trust each other totally by the end. And they’re complex enough to keep one another interested, that’s for sure! I also think the fact that they have goals outside their relationship will only draw them closer together. Sadly, Verity will never be accepted in society because of her former profession but she’ll find rewards beyond the value the outside world places on her. She strikes me as a woman who draws satisfaction from a few particularly close relationships rather than a woman with ambitions to be queen of the ton anyway.

I think that's one of the things I admire most about your novel. The circumstances are so extreme, yet it actually could have happened in that era. What is next for you?

My second book Untouched is coming out as an Avon Romantic Treasure in December this year. I describe it as a dark fairy tale and elements of it will surprise people who have read Claiming the Courtesan although it’s still got that sensual, dark atmosphere, I’m glad to say. I think of it as a mixture of Beauty and the Beast and The Sleeping Beauty. But at heart, all my stories are Beauty and the Beast. Funny how those themes just keep cropping up, isn’t it?

I’m currently writing the first draft of my third book, another Regency noir.

Will we see another Kylemoresque hero in Untouched?


Aha, you’ll just have to wait and see! Is he big and gorgeous and moody and passionate like Kylemore? Or is he someone else equally delicious? And yes, I am being annoyingly mysterious. There’s a short introduction to him here: http://redwyne.com/2007/03/excerpt-untouched-by-anna-campbell-dec-2007.html/ I’ll be putting an excerpt and the back cover blurb on my site http://www.annacampbell.info/ at the beginning of May.

I can't wait until December for your next fabulous book. Anna, thank you for a fascinating interview. Best of luck with Claiming the Courtesan!

Thanks, Christine! It’s been fun talking about my books! And best of luck to you with your writing! I’ve read Scandal’s Daughter and it’s amazing.


Aren't you lovely? You can definitely visit here again, Anna! In fact, Anna will be around for the next few days to chat. It promises to be a lively discussion!


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard so much about this book. I am seriously dying to get my hands on what sounds like the read of the year! Congratulations, Anna. I'm sure you're in for a stellar career.
And thanks for the insightful and entertaining interview, Christine. (PS Your cover *is* fabulous!)

Robyn Grady

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I've read a lot of discussion on the web about this book and now I'm just dying of curiousity!

I think any book that can provoke this much discussion and emotion must be an intense read and I suppose, more than anything else, that's what I want - an intense experience when I read a book. I also really like the idea of something different and unusual in the story and characters. I'll definitely give this one a go.

Thanks for the interview, Christine and Anna.

Rachel

Annie West said...

Christine, I just wanted to congratulate you on your insightful questions. This was a really interesting interview.

And Anna, you already know I love the book! Looking forward to seeing your next one for sale too.

Annie

Anonymous said...

Great interview, Christine.
And Claiming the Courtesan is a seriously fabulous read, Anna! Congratulations.
Popped over to Redwyne.com to read the excerpt from your next book too - looks like I'll be making lots of room for you on my keeper shelf!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Great interview, Christine! I have been waiting for Claiming the Courtesan for months--and finally I have it here in my hot little hands...what am I doing chatting here? I'm off to read...
jennifer

Anna Campbell said...

Hey, thanks, everyone! And I'm not just being nice because CW handed over valuable real estate on her blog to me. I really adored SCANDAL'S DAUGHTER. It sparkles! Jennifer and Robyn and Rachel, I hope you enjoy my book. Sharon and Annie, thank you for your kind words! I'm so happy my book touched you.

Christine Wells said...

Thanks for dropping in, Robyn, Rachel, Annie, Sharon and Jennifer! This book is really taking the genre by storm, isn't it? Congratulations, once again, Anna and thank you for being here.

Denise Rossetti said...

You know, I think "Regency Noir" is the most perfect description, Anna. Totally in keeping with the incredible intensity of CTC. Any book with that level of emotional engagement is bound to provoke comment. It's a testimony to how your writing grips the reader by the heartstrings.

Huge congrats on CTC and can't wait for Untouched!

And BTW, couldn't agree more about Scandal's Daughter. Reading Christine's book is like skolling a glass of champagne. And now I've made everyone jealous. heh heh

Denise

Anna Campbell said...

Hey, Denise, not me, I'm not jealous - I too have partaken of that vintage drop of bubbly that's SD! I keep smiling when I think of the treat the world has ahead of it with this book. And thanks for your perceptive comments about CLAIMING THE COURTESAN. It was an utterly wrenching book to write and I'm so glad that some of that deep emotion appears to have made it onto the page (you're never sure when you're writing!).

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Hi, Christine! Hi, Anna! So excited to see CTC out and about and finally have it in MY bookstores too! :> Great interview with wonderful questions. Anna, the CTC train is gathering speed...
Grins,
Jeanne (DdeS)

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Hi Christine, Hi Anna. :> The CTC Train is barreling along, ladies, and it's a bullet train for sure! I'm so thrilled for you, Anna. Christine, what a wonderful interview you've created. Great questions. I'm thrilled that CTC is finally in MY bookstore. Looking forward to a good read. Looking forward to your book as well, Mme. D. Grins.
And wow, what fun we'll have in Dallas...
Grins,
Jeanne (DdeS)

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

My dearest Anna!
I can't wait to savor my copy of CTC! And remember the words of P.T. Barnum, "There's no such thing as adverse publicity." As long as people are talking about your book, they are TALKING ABOUT YOUR BOOK! And that is a good thing. Hey, even the one negative review I read, the reviewer praised your writing abilities, so PFFFT on what she thinks about your storyline. You definitely stirred an emotional reaction. Again, that's GOOD! In fact, that's what all us writers strive for, isn't it? To touch our readers.

Thanx for the great interview, both of you!
Aunty C

Anna Campbell said...

Thanks, Jeanne and Aunty Cindy! You are women of world-shattering class, both of you!

Christine Wells said...

Denise and Anna, you're making me blush! Thank you. Thanks Jeanne and Aunty Cindy for your comments. CTC certainly is provocative, in every sense of the word! I think it's going to be the most talked about debut of the year and rightly so. You can see that everyone has responded on a really visceral level to this book and it shows how powerful Anna's writing is.

Inara said...

CTC is burning a hole in my bookcase even as we speak. I love you for doing something unique, heartfelt, and REAL, Anna (can I call you Anna?). Can't wait to see all the fabulous reviews rolling in!!

-Inara

Anna Campbell said...

Oh, thanks, Inara and Christine! Christine, I think I'm blushing now and it's clashing with my bright purple T-shirt!

Authorness said...

Great interview, Christine and Anna!

Christine Wells said...

Thank you, Anna, for being a guest at The Ink Spot! I really enjoyed that interview and I hope you'll come back again when your next book is out. I LOVE Untouched. I can't wait!