Saturday, March 17, 2007

Reality Romance

Recently, I changed direction on a book I'm writing, thanks mainly to Jenny Crusie and a timely reminder about the conflict lock. If you're a writer, Jenny's and Bob Mayer's writing workshop is a must.

But what clinched it for me was the sense that although I had a marketable high concept for my book, in real life, the story wouldn't have happened. When I read historicals, I have no trouble suspending disbelief. I enjoy some 'Regency lite' novels as I would a fairy tale. Unless Regency characters speak like modern American teenagers (but that's another post) or the Battle of Waterloo takes place in 1810, I don't really mind that the author has bent the era to suit a rattling good story. But when I write, I need to feel that my story could have happened. And since the era itself is so fascinating, that leaves a lot of room to move.

What about you? How does historical inaccuracy affect your enjoyment of historicals? What are the unforgivable sins?

4 comments:

Anna Campbell said...

I need to believe in the world I'm reading about. Which means I have to believe that this COULD have happened, even if it's a bit unlikely and maybe a whole stack of rather bizarre circumstances would have to come into play first. So if the story is working and the characters are compelling, I'm actually a pretty easy critic on minor details. When I'm writing, however, I REALLY need to believe that this could have happened or I lose my connection to what's happening. It's dire but it's inescapable. If I start believing that I'm only pushing paper dolls around some stage scenery, my muse runs away and dies.

Kelly Boyce said...

If they're minor things and they make a note of it in the author's notes section, then I'm usually okay. But if it's a glaring error or discrepancy, then I have a harder time swallowing it. I'm with you, I need to be able to feel my story could have actually happened.

Anonymous said...

I am very forgiving of authors who've written a good story. I prefer historical accuracy, but minor discrepencies do not bother me. And, as Kelly said, an author's notes section is a perfect place to explain oneself.

Tracey O'Hara said...

The world needs to ring true and if reading a historical small things I can forgive BUT if I can't believe that it could happen then it just ruins the book for me. This is true for all genres from historical to paranormal to science fiction.