Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Romance Community

On Sunday, I hosted a Christmas get-together for my local romance reading group and it led me to reflect on what a wonderful community romance readers form. It may sound strange, but the fact I didn't feel obliged to go to any trouble to entertain these people is the highest compliment I can pay them. Why? Because it's all about the books.

I freely admit I'm not the most house-proud person in the world, but when I have guests I usually make a huge effort. So huge, that my husband heads for the hills so as not to fall foul of me and my spotless kitchen. Well, okay, it's not spotless, but it's the closest it's going to get. At the moment, I have a 2 month old baby who seems to want to feed every 2 hours as well as a very energetic 3 year old, and for the Sunday celebration it simply was not possible for me to do my usual cleaning and cooking blitz. I admit, I was worried. I didn't know many of these women, and what were they going to think of my less than pristine house, the wreck the dogs had made of the garden that I didn't have a chance to clear away, the mock orange that has overgrown its pot next to the front steps so you have to machete your way to our front door?

But on Sunday, no one was there to provide a critique on my housewifely skills. I had only met three of my guests in the flesh before, but I felt instant kinship with all through our mutual love of romance novels. As soon as everyone arrived, our veranda rang with chatter and laughter. The baby was passed from one enthusiastic cuddler to another and slept peacefully throughout. My 3 year old sat among us and nodded and smiled as if he totally understood the appeal of the alpha male. Kate's peach surprise had to be tasted to be believed. And a good time was had by all!

4 comments:

Keziah Hill said...

There are worse experiences in the world than beating your way through mock orange! And they got a baby to cuddle! Sounds good to me.

Anna Campbell said...

Christine, the more I hear about the get-together, the sorrier I am that I wasn't there. Oh, well, next year! I actually think the run around like a loon thing is something we all grow out of - I used to be like you, so stressed when people came over. These days, when I find that behaviour surfacing, I just give myself a pretend slap across the chops and say, "It's OK. Settle, petal." Seems to work. Glad you had such a wonderful time!

Christine Wells said...

I think this housekeeping angst is something you inherit! Keziah, you're right; I shouldn't have worried. Anna, we missed you!

Brittany Day said...

Hi thanks for postiing this