Monday, September 18, 2006

Should the Artist turn Critic?


At about the same time I sold my first book, I joined a romance readers discussion group called brraddicts. It wasn't until I began particpating in this group that I realised I'm in a different position now from the position I was in as an unpublished writer. I feel I have to be more careful about giving an honest critique of a book.

My opinions remain the same, of course, but if I do criticise, especially books in the same genre as the one I write in, others might think I believe I can do better. That's not the case. I'd find it very difficult to critique my own work the way I do when I read published novels. In fact, when I think about how I approach critiquing other writers' unpublished manuscripts, it is different again from the way I evaluate a published novel. I don't care too much about structure and word choice when I'm reading a published novel, though I appreciate both when done well. I concentrate more on whether I like the main characters, whether their conflicts ring true, whether the ending is satisfying--all the things any reader looks for in a romance.

I don't think a person must be able to do better before they are qualified to criticise someone else's work. Everyone has an opinion on art, that's what it's for, to stimulate thought and reaction. But I still can't help tip-toeing around the subject if anyone asks me what I think of the latest Regency historical I've read. Privately, to my writer friends, I can be candid. In a semi-public forum, I would rather focus on the positive.

Does that make me a wimp? Should writers comment publicly on novels that are in the same genre as their own books?

3 comments:

Denise Rossetti said...

Writing has changed the way I read - and I'm not happy about it. A book has to be hellaciously good for me to suspend the critical nitpicking part of me.

And then, if it is that good, I'm depressed because I'll never come up to that standard. *sigh* When you're a neurotic wimp, you can't win. *droops pathetically*

Kelly Boyce said...

Wow...good question. Even though we're writers, we're also readers, so in that sense we have an opinion to give. I think in any criticism though, the positive should be pointed out as well as the negative, and the negative should never be nasty but constructive.

Anonymous said...

What she said! (pointing to denise)! I'm so nitpicky about books, I get angry when I "waste my time" reading something that does not measure up to par. On the other hand, I'm reading Loretta Chase right now and finding it utterly depressing. I could never do what she does, not in a gazillion years.

But no, I think you're right, and I don't think you're a wimp. You're a writer, not a critic, and I don't think it's a good idea to disparage other peoples' art publicly. As writers, we're all in this together. There is almost always something positive to see in others' work, so I'd say--focus on the positive! (Publicly, at least...)