Friday, February 23, 2007

Stealing Time

I've just risen from the bed of killer flu, so I hope this is coherent. Actually, I feel better than I have for months, because for once, there was no choice between sleep or writing, sleep or writing, I just had to sleep, fairly solidly, for two days while my mother (superwoman, extraordinaire) took care of everything else. I'm actually happy with the beginning of my new book now, which is something like a landmark event if you know me (EEYORE!), so things are looking up.

It's pretty sad when you have to get to a state of total collapse before you're granted a good night's sleep, but I have only myself to blame. I don't tend to let other people do things for me, I have taken on far too much work for others and put it ahead of my own and I haven't been efficient enough with the time I do have at the computer.

When I decided to write and have children in tandem, I didn't bargain for how hard it would be. Not just finding the time to sit down by yourself at the computer--sitting by yourself on the toilet is often too much to ask!--but getting back into the zone, that magical place where your story lives, after dealing with children all day can be difficult, especially when you feel as if you could sleep for the next fortnight, given the chance.

I don't think I could live without writing and I definitely wouldn't give back my beautiful boys, so I just have to get on with things the best way I can. Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. And sneaking off with my Neo when I'm supposed to be grocery shopping. An extra half hour here or there isn't going to be noticed, is it?

So what about you? If you have children, spouse, pets, gardens, other responsibilities, how do you get into the zone? How do you steal time to write?

6 comments:

Kelly Boyce said...

This is where being single and living alone works to my advantage! And I write first thing in the morning before work which is also good for me because there is nothing else at that time of the day demanding my attention or distracting me. If I had to write at the end of the day, I'd hate to think what kind of drivel I'd produce.

Glad to hear you like your opening for the new book. I can't wait to read it!

Keziah Hill said...

I'm in the same situation as you Kelly but do you think I'm disciplined enough to write solidly for two hours before work? It's Saturday morning at 7.28 am and I'm blogging. Sigh. Undisciplined thy name is Keziah.

Christine Wells said...

I agree, Kelly. The best time to write is when you know you can't be interrupted. Mine tends to be after the boys are in bed.

Keziah, it's all market research! Promotion! Or that's what I tell myself anyway.

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I fear I'm doing a very bad job of it! I wish I was one of those people with perfect time management skills, then I might do better. As it is, I feel like I'm doing everything halfway & always cutting corners. That's an awful feeling. Who wants to be a "halfway" mother?

I hear you on the coffee, though. That's part of my solution, too. Less sleep + more coffee.

It's not easy, that's for sure.

I'm sorry about the flu--sounds awful. Glad you're feeling better.

AnneMarie Brear said...

Sorry about the flu, Chris. Hope you're all better soon!

Can we lobby parliment to support a new law which gives us 28 hour days? Surely it can't be that difficult to do... LOL

Hugs~

Anna Campbell said...

I'm single, I have no children, and still I seem to fighting for time. Actually, even more than time, I seem to fight for energy, and particularly creative energy which seems to be a special ingredient that you can only buy at the shop that's open for five minutes a week. Christine, I SO admire all you've achieved over the last little while. Don't beat yourself up - I think you're doing a wonderful job! I couldn't do what you do, honestly, I couldn't. And remember - what doesn't kill us makes us stronger? Did Nietzsche really say that or is it an urban myth?